Friday, May 9, 2008

The Raleigh Hotel



The Raleigh Hotel
in Miami is one of several properties that have been renovated and revitalized under the watchful eye of Andre Balazs. He worked to restore the Art Deco-style Latin glamour while adding an air of modern cool. The pool is legendary having been featured in an Esther Williams film.



I was smitten with the hotel just seeing the gorgeous logo (if anyone can tell me who designed it, please drop me an email. It turns out the logo was designed by Pandiscio Brand Creation and Marketing). The shield and stag logo was an homage to Sir Walter Raleigh for whom the hotel was originally named. The logo is now used on stationery and matchbooks and may be printed on the hotel's toilet seats as well. (I don't think I'll ever be able to afford to stay there but maybe someone can send me a matchbook?)



Balazs also redeveloped several other hotels including the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood, The Mercer in New York and a series of hotels under the name The Standard.

[Thanks to Matt Coleman for providing information about the agency that designed the logo!]

No comments: