Thursday, April 23, 2009

Twitter App Options


[Screenshot from Tweetie]

I am oddly fascinated with Twitter. I like the global instant messaging quality. I like when people use it to delight, inform or entertain so I continue to use it. Now, however, I maintain (and I use that term loosely) two different Twitter accounts so I have been on the hunt for applications, plug-ins, etc that make it easy to post and read to both accounts.

Here's my short list:

  • TweetDeck: Standalone desktop application that utilizes Adobe Air technology. IMHO, its TOO much. It takes over my whole desktop!
  • Tweetie: Available as both a Mac desktop application and an iPhone application. Desktop app is $14.95. iPhone app is $2.99 and looks like iChat interface. May have to check this out. Looks sleek.
  • Twitterfox: A plug-in for Firefox that includes a little pop-up window at the bottom of your Firefox browser with a running tally of Twitter posts. Includes an option to switch between multiple Twitter accounts. Free and definitely one of my favorites so far.
  • Twitterific: The first iPhone Twitter app I used and, as such, is the yardstick by which I measure all others. Fairly simple to use, clean, efficient. Does have ads interspersed every 50 posts in the free version. Also available as a desktop app for $14.95.
  • TwitterFon: fairly simple, streamlined iPhone application. Free. No ads.

Anyone have a personal favorite or recommend something I have mentioned? I didn't list EventBox because though it looks like it does a lot of great things, I think it would be as overwhelming as I find Flock. Too much input all in one place!

2 comments:

Jake said...

Personally, I love Eventbox. I use it primarily for my RSS feeds though Google Reader - the only Mac client that does so. It's also one of the most feature rich twitter clients.

What I like most about it is that I can keep up with several things at once, all in one app. I don't need several different applications open, consuming resources. I definitely think it's worth trying. You can choose the features you want to use and ignore the rest.

Craig Daitch said...

I always fall back on Twhirl. I've tried Tweetie and it doesn't impress me. Tweetdeck is awesome and I use it at work to monitor my client's brands, but when I'm at home, it's typically either Twhirl or the Power Twitter Firefox plugin.