Friday, February 29, 2008

Tutorial: Making a Repeating Pattern in Photoshop



I may be the only designer in the world who consistently gets stumped by repeating patterns. On the off-hand chance that there's someone else who gets just as muddled as I do, I found an easy-to-understand tutorial on a craft web site called Craft Chi for making a pattern (that actually repeats) in Photoshop. The example is pretty simplistic but it was easy enough to translate into something much more complicated pattern. Thanks, Craft Chi!

2 comments:

Flora Chang said...

Oh my! I've been wanting to learn how to do repeated patterns too!
Thanks for sharing this!!! :)

Alex Sobieski said...

http://tutorialblog.org/make-repeating-seamless-tile-backgrounds-with-photoshop/

has a better tutorial because it's actually a feature in photoshop.

I use it to make seamless backgrounds all the time.

If you are using something like wood or some other irregular item, you adjust the offset and use the cloning/healing tool to fix the seams.